Lincoln

May 18 2011

Today I am 5w5d (5 weeks, 5 days) and we had the most amazing doctors appointment!

Earlier in the week the nurses prepared me that this appointment was likely to be "uneventful." They stated that we would likely not see a heartbeat and that the appointment was just to "verify" things and date the pregnancy...it was too early to see a heartbeat...

Well.......

WE SAW A HEARTBEAT!!!!
A VERY, VERY STRONG HEARTBEAT!!!

I almost leaped off the exam table!

See that tiny black circle in the middle of the picutre
Now, see that tiny white bean inside the black circle
That's baby L, and he/she was beating like crazy!

I couldn't believe it- it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Knowing that inside of me a tiny heart was beating and that my body was in the process of creating another human life.
I know, sappy stuff, but really it was truly amazing to see it in front of you!

I think I am also so giddy because aside from being a bit more tired than usual, and having some mild cramping and pulling in my lower abdomen- I feel pretty good and pretty normal.
People are irritating me a bit more than usual and by the end of the day when I get home from work I am pretty much toast...but I don't feel horrible or sick...or anything all that bad really.

Also, that tiny heartbeat made his/her daddy eat his words- which was hilarious.

Fred during the external ultrasound "I see a whole lot of nothin'!"
Me, "Just wait, you'll see something soon enough..."
Me during the internal ultrasound "Ya see something now don't ya!?!?"
Fred (grinning) "Yup, I sure do!"

It was really cool.

The appointment continued with a lot of poking and prodding...fun stuff. Apparently, in addition to an internal ultrasound I would also get a physical and a pap...nothing like getting to know a whole bunch of the office staff real up close and personal!

But, when the doctor said "everything looks great" it was well worth it.

I do have one small issue with my clotting factors (of course). The pregnancy has shot my already low protein s level even lower- dangerously low actually. So, lucky me, I get to up my dose of Lovenox and for the next week (until the new shipment of meds arrive) I get to poke myself four times a day instead of two! Super Awesome I know!

But, I knew what I signed up for when we started...especially after being with my aunt, I knew the drill. Honestly, that tiny heartbeat though, I think I'd go through anything to be sure it stays safe, sound and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. I can not tell you how incredible of a feeling it was for this Grandma (in waiting) to see that tiny heartbeat. My baby having a BABY!? Breathtaking aweinspiring at the miracle of life. I am very excited for Fred and you and for all of us to welcome this new person into all of our lives. (nervouse too of course!)

    ReplyDelete