Lincoln

March 9th, 2012

Today was my 20 week visit to by OB. And we got the results of the anatomy screen. I am happy to say baby boy L is "perfect." All measurements and blood flow are good and he is in the 43rd percentile...so perfectly average in size (which the doctor said for my size is a good thing).

However, my blood levels are not doing so good. My protein S activity level is dangerously low.

I know you're probably thinking- huh? what the hell does that mean?

People who have low Protein S levels during pregnancy (I have low levels even when not pregnant) often need to be carefully monitored. This is because pregnancy cause otherwise asymptomatic problems with anti-clotting proteins to cause more serious health problems. Low activity of Protein S has been linked with a number of different pregnancy complications, including miscarriage and stillborns. Complications of pregnancy can be the result of a blood clot forming in the vessels that carry nutrients and blood to the infant; any disruption of blood flow in these areas can result in serious consequences for the health of the baby.

My levels were at a 12 in December and even on 100mgs of Lovenox injected twice a day, my levels are now at a 17. Normal people's levels are between 80 and 90. My doctor would be happy if mine were in the 50s. So, yeah- this is kinda serious.

I now need to increase my dose of Lovenox injections to 4 injections a day instead of 2 and 130mgs instead of 100mgs. Hopefully this will take care of it or he'll have to keep increasing the dose until it does go up. This could mean up to 200 mgs twice a day which is absolutely crazy...but I have a feeling that is were I am heading...talk about being a pin-cushion and black and blue all over. Thank GOD for my darker skin and that I don't already bruise easily...
So that is all. We're doing well otherwise and hope the dose change improves my blood levels. We knew this wouldn't be easy but luckily we have a strong little boy who is hanging in there! I only hope that he can survive this wreak of a disorder I've been dealt with. Some people just have no idea how lucky they are to have uncomplicated pregnancies....

1 comment:

  1. not happy that my poor baby has to poke herself so much :-(. But very happy the little guy is doing so well. Lets just hope and stay positive that this will all work out well.

    ReplyDelete