Lincoln

Lincoln One Month

Oh how life can change in just one month. I can't believe its been a month already and our boy has changed so much! It really is incredible how fast time flies and how quickly babies grow. Everyone tells you this but to witness it right before your eyes is like nothing I've ever seen.

This past month has been both the best and hardest month of our lives. It has been the best because our family now feels complete and we are experiencing a love like no other. Its as if all of the love we have has manifested into this perfect, beautiful, innocent little being and we would do absolutely anything to protect him, make him smile and take care of him.


However, along with the love comes a lot of sacrifice. Babies are a lot of work. I know, that sounds stupid, but again its one of those things I needed to experience to fully understand. They are a 24/7 job. They are unpredictable and needy and exhausting. We're lucky to get three showers a week and 5 hours of sleep. Doing my hair and putting make-up on is unheard of these days and I normally have something on my shirt. Phone calls are short and schedules are unheard of...at least for now. I know as he grows things will settle but for now it is all about what he wants, when he wants it. But, the most amazing thing about this is that we don't mind at all. Sure, we're tired and sore and feel like our world has been turned upside down...but we look at his face and it is all worth it.


We also look at each other now in a whole new light. We are parents. We created life. We are forever bound by this beautiful baby. We love each other now more then ever.


Lincoln's One Month Stats:


Weight: 7lbs 3oz 

Length: 20 inches

He is lifting his head for 5 seconds at a time, both up and at a 45 degree angel. Lincoln grasps with his hands and his toes and can rock his body over to one side. He recognizes at least three voices (the hubs, me and my mother) and he can recognize our faces. He sometimes smiles back at us if we smile at him and he loves the sound of laughing. He can push off our arms with his feet and lift his whole body...he is incredibly strong for his size. He is bright-eyed and alert and curious. He is incredible.






  





We've found Lincoln to be a pretty easy-going baby most of the time. He only cries or fusses when he's hungry, wet, uncomfortable or lonely and we can usually tell from his crying exactly which of those he's complaining about. However, starting in week three and continuing into this week he's developed some tummy issues and acid reflux. At first we switched to a lactose-free formula and I've been eating lactose-free so it is not in my breast-milk. That seemed to work for about a week and then his tummy trouble re-surfaced. That's when we realized that he also had acid reflux. After looking into it about 50% of babies have acid reflux and these babies in the past would be diagnosed as "colicky.' Apparently colic was the "go to" diagnosis for stomach issues in babies before they knew how to better diagnose what was wrong. So, we are now using the lactose-free formula and thickening it with organic rice cereal to help him keep it down. We've also elevated the head of his crib and basically have him laying or sitting on an incline at all times so the acid doesn't come up and burn his throat. Last night was our first night trying this and it was miserable- but upon waking up today he seems like a new baby, so we're hopeful this will work. The next option to try is a formula that is incredibly expensive (I'm talking $60 per week) and after that would be meds. We've heard some family and friends swear by Chiropractic work for acid reflux- but with him still so little (just now the size of an average newborn) we're not comfortable with that. Maybe we will try it if he's still having trouble in a few months but for now we're going to try all the dietary changes we can first.


The baby belly is gone.
As for me, I'm doing pretty well. I was definitely not prepared for a c-section or the healing that would need to come afterwards. The first 2-3 weeks was really hard. I could move around the house ok but getting out of bed by myself was practically impossible for the first 10 days and doing anything that involves my stomach muscles is still pretty difficult. My stamina is just wore down so I get tired easily but all and all I'm healing very well and my scar is hardly noticeable already. I've also lost 20 lbs since having Lincoln and reached my pre-pregnancy weight by the end of week three. I'm hoping the combination of pumping and having less time to eat will result in losing even more. I'd be much happier if I lost another 30lbs...but I'm not going to stress about it now. Once I'm all healed and life is less hectic then I'll worry about my weight. Until then my goal is to maintain my weight and enjoy my baby.

As for the marks of childbearing I do have a few- but they are very small and don't really bother me. I don't know how I could look at them with disgust when I know what they stand for. There is a deep appreciation and acceptance for the female body I have now. It is a pure miracle what we can do and how can you feel anything by gratitude and amazement for a body that stretches and shapes to bring life into the world? This may sound like the biggest mushy sentiment- but really I look at Linc and can not believe he was inside of me and that my body grew him and made him. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully wrap my mind around it. 

And as for the question we're already being asked...will we have another baby? Well, it is far too early to tell. Do we want another baby- yes. Will we have another baby- we just don't know. There are too many unknowns to answer that honestly. Do we want to risk my health and the health of another baby? Do we want to perhaps suffer more miscarriages and the misery they bring? Can we afford another baby? Will Linc end up being more of a handful and will we feel we can handle another child? All of those questions are yet to be answered. So, in about 2-3 years we'll make that decision but for now we're going to sit back and enjoy being a family of three.

3 comments:

  1. he is a miracle! Enjoy,worry,love,fret,all of it. This is the love,joy,and wonder of having a child!What a pleasure he is already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard that dairy/lactose does not leave your system for 2 weeks, so if he's still experiencing it, and he is lactose intollerant it could still be there, cause it would still be in your breast milk but also still in his system from before the switch. Anyway I hope you figure his tummy situation out really quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're now thinking it was more the reflux all along and less of a lactose problem...but we're continuing with the sensitive formula (which is only 75% lactose free anyway...which I think is silly but whatever)so he is still getting some lactose. But things are going well now and we're going to see how it goes- hopefully the cereal is the trick and this lasts. I know that the flora in the intestines starts to get more mature around 6 weeks so hopefully that will be about the time he can tolerate things better...he's only 9 days from being 6 weeks already :)

    ReplyDelete